Monday, June 30, 2008

I am indeed remiss in my blogging. There is so much to tell I can't do justice to it in the time I have. I am up at 0500 and go like crazy until hunger or fatigue make me take a break. The weather overall has been good enough to encourage outside work. And, like the chickens, my eyes begin to close at sundown. I do sleep good though, not less than 7 hours, and sometimes as much as 9. When my porch is done I'll move my bed outside to better enjoy the night air and the occasional wind and rain.
I expected to have the porch on my shack by now, but other things have slowed me down. You would not believe the number of well wishing and curious visitors I have had out here. Usually though my time is well spent getting to know them. Almost every one has some information or connection of interest or value to me. And every one without exception has been up beat and encouraging
Like the water well drillers Walter and Cathy Elliott, of Elliott Brothers Drilling who drove the hundred or so miles from Pietown, NM to locate my best water and to schedule one of their rigs on site. That was the result of one of my neighbors knowing about the most reputable and successful drilling companies, and giving me the number to call. They will start drilling by the end of July.
My generator works like a charm and starts like a car. It has every kind of power out that I could want, including 12VDC screw terminals. I usually charge my cell phone between 2 and 4PM mountain time, using the 12VDC outlet (cigarette lighter) in my truck, so thats not a problem. my number if you don't have it is (909) 910-0880. The cell phone service because of the AT&T tower one mile away at Scholle Junction is outstanding. The USB cell phone modem hooks up immediately every time.
I have lost weight. I am in the last notch of my belt after only one week out here. I'll be headed to Walmart for new stuff by the time my birthday rolls around.
I talk to my wife twice a day, and she is doing well. My absence lets her concentrate on her own interests, many of which she had set aside. This is another joint effort, like paying off our house. I'm doing my part with her constant support, and she is doing her part with my constant support. I could not have done better in her choice of husbands!! :)
The one factor that will drive what kind of house I'll put out here is the water. Once I know for sure how much and how good, then we will decide. I dream of a beautiful country place. Only water can make that happen.
You are right about the cost of moving and setting up a mobile home. Out here a single wide 100 miles or less is $2000 on average. A double wide is $4000 and up, but there are some companies that include the moving and set up fees in the cost. And they advertise no state sales tax on repos. One way or another I am going to build my wife a nice place here in the boondocks.
Well, tomorrow should see a good start on the deck of my covered porch. I'll take some more pictures, but before I send them I've got to figure out which program I use to make them a much smaller file size. I can't send very many pictures when they are between 1.3 and 1.5 MB each.
With that I'll close. I hope you and yours are well.

No comments: