Sunday, January 24, 2010

Wind-Chill and Fire-Blocks

************************************************

The weather in Mountainair is currently being reported as
32 degrees with a 27 mph wind from the northwest. If you
GOOGLE, "weather 87036", the first entry is current
conditions.

Out here now it's 34 degrees with 5 to 10 mph. For me
wind-chill becomes an endurance factor above 12 to 15 mph
at this temperature.

Earlier today, when our wind was 25 to 30, I retreated to the
trailer after only about 10 minutes. I was heavily dressed 

too, but I couldn't protect my face well enough.

The milder conditions out here gave me almost three good
hours of work time, minus about 15 minutes spent visiting
with Russell and Rocky. They only stayed long enough for 

a cookie and some affection, then they were off. They had
places to go and rabbits to chase.

As you can see the first five fire-blocks are in. Each one
carefully fit to remove some minor warping of the studs, 

then glued and screwed in place.


 


That wall section is incredibly rigid now. There is no
deflection even when I throw my full (still considerable)
weight against it.

Well it's another "special recipe" hot soup kind of day.

*********************************************** 

No comments: