Friday, July 4, 2008

The Rain Came Down In Buckets

Before sundown the sky was full in all directions of those "isolated" T-storms that forecasters talk about so casually. Then about 7:30 one of them parked right over the top of my shack and poured it's heart out. I guarantee you that if I could have captured just half the water that fell within 100 feet of me last night I wouldn't need a well.



All my deck posts look like they've been in the ground for years, and the odd thing is there is no mud. The ground is still the dark color of wet, but nothing sticks to my shoes.
It's a good thing my generators are good quality. They both tested out fine despite being thoroughly soaked.
Through the powerful resource of Craigslist, I found a heavy duty trailer capable of carrying a medium sized tractor (when I find one); so yesterday, I drove up to Tijeres and towed it back to the ranch. It is well used and ugly, in the "Western" way, but it is fully functional and very well mannered on tow. I am pleased. It will serve for many years.


Even though it is the 4th of July, I've got my work cut out for me today. Every thing that got soaked last night has got to be laid out to dry and then re-stored. I have four more 12x16 blue/silver tarps that I'll put to use. If the rains come again this afternoon I will be better prepared.

No comments: