Friday, July 18, 2008

Well Work and House Hunting

Here's a couple of pictures of the pad we poured yesterday on which to mount the well house. I'll build it myself using 2x6 pressure treated framing, weather proof siding, and heavy insulation.



Also my house hunting in ABQ yesterday was a complete success. I went to the Karsten factory dealership, co-located with the factory, and in less than 10 minutes with A.J. Schissel, the lovely factory sales rep (my head was not turned), I found the house that my wife and I will live in for the rest of our lives. Yes, I am that certain. It's the Karsten RC-27. The layout is perfect. I don't have a PDF of the floor plan yet, but I'll add it today or tomorrow.
Now begin the more mundane aspects of the infrastructure: electricity, water pipes, and (gnashing of teeth) the septic system.
I'll be adding a full deck to the south facing side of the house; covered of course, and partially screened for sleeping out.
The main reason we (I did consult with my wife during the process) chose the Karsten is that they make it really easy and inexpensive to modify the house. You can add length up to 76 feet in 16 inch increments, and you can add that space in any room you want not just at either end of the house.
Nine foot ceilings are standard and the roof pitch is optional up to 6:12, giving the house a much more conventional roof line. It will make a fine country home.

No comments: