Thursday, July 31, 2008

Trailer And Trail

Even though that contractor I was complaining about finally did get back to me, I still don't have his bottom line costs for the slab, stem walls, foundation and raising of the metal building.

(ps: On August 2, I got rid of the contractor. No trust.)

So this morning, as a hedge against my need for storage in the near term, I bought this trailer to put stuff in while I'm back in California for the winter. It's an ex refrigerated trailer with insulation, 28 feet long. It was very inexpensive even though it's in near-new condition.
The refrigeration unit, which I didn't need, was crushed in a minor accident, so it was removed and the opening covered with a sheet of stainless steel. Most of the trailer is stainless steel and aluminum. The interior is in especially good shape.
Concealed in a pocket in the floor behind that side door is an access ladder that allows you to step up easily from the ground to floor level.
At the back door (roll up) I'll build a 4x8 deck with steps. The original loading ramp was sold separately, but I'm not going to miss it.


I intend to get a single axle truck to pull it with so I can use it to move us from California to New Mexico, and in the future it will transport and store building materials for additions to our house (the full deck and my wifes upstairs sun room) and for my daughters barn and some of the outbuildings requiring longer-than-standard lumber.
====================================================================

Using the tractor and skills acquired in several hours of recent practice, I cleared and graded a short new section of road in one place about a hundred fifty feet long where the old road wandered inside the property line.
Just to the left of the "T" posts lying on the ground, you can see the first strand of wire. That wire is right on the easement line. There is 60 feet between that wire and the south fence of the Cibola National Forest.




Please forgive me if I am somewhat prouder of my work this time. It came out very nice and the neighbors who used this road today were complimentary. Well at least no one threatened to sue!
====================================================================

And just another picture to show how green the land is getting. It even smells good.

*************************************************************************************

No comments: